Reserved Study Carrel Policy
All library Reserved Study carrel spaces are available through the application form on the library’s website, on a first-come, first-served basis.
Please read through the carrel policy and information carefully - failure to abide by library policy will result in the loss of carrel privileges.
- Applications for carrel reservations begin the first day of class each semester.
- Reservations end the last day of classes each semester. Keys are due back to the Library Services Desk on this day.
- Any graduate student may apply for a carrel space, the location determined by the status of the student. Their status will be verified by library staff. Individual Carrels (due to COVID, the carrels will be limited to one person per room) - Graduate students working on their Thesis or Dissertation (enrolled in a 7000-level course) or with an email from their advising faculty (sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org), Visiting Scholars, Retired Faculty.
- All applicants must be currently enrolled at the time of their application and during the semester they wish to occupy the space.
- Visiting scholars must have the head of the department overseeing their visit send an email to email@example.com verifying their connection and length of stay.
- Library carrels are for research and study.
- Library materials must be checked out to the carrel user before being left in a carrel.
- The library reserves the right to have its personnel enter carrels to search for missing library items not properly checked out. Materials not properly checked out from the Library will be returned to the collection. Repeated incidents may result in loss of your carrel space.
- Per COVID protocols and social distancing, only one person will be assigned to a carrel.
- Do not leave anything of value in your carrel. The library assumes no responsibility for lost or stolen items.
- Windows cannot be blocked by any material.
- Food is not allowed on the 2nd or 3rd floors of the library.
- Do not leave trash in the carrels. Custodial staff do not have access to these rooms.
- Problems with the room (lights out, cleaning, etc.) should be reported to the Services Desk.
- Library staff are not able to let users into any of the carrel spaces - you must have your carrel key in order to get into the room.
Getting your carrel key
- Library staff will review your information and verify your status. They will then assign a library carrel space, or deny your application due to the inability to verify your status or lack of available space.
- Library staff will email you to confirm your reservation and to check out your key at the Library Services Desk.
Once a key is assigned by the library, it becomes the responsibility of the key holder.
- It will be the key holder’s responsibility to return the key to the Library Services Desk at the end of each semester.
- If the key is lost, the keyholder must file a lost/stolen key report with Campus Police and provide a copy of the report to the Library.
- The replacement cost for a lost key is $50.
- Lost keys are charged to your Library account.
- Failure to comply with this policy will prevent any further carrel access.
If you have any questions, please contact the Services Desk, either by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (504-280-6355).