COMMUNITY SERVICES Council OF New Orleans COLLECTION
Earl K. Long Library
University of New Orleans
Revised August 20000
Size: 90 linear feet
Geographic Locations: Greater New Orleans area and various cities throughout the United States
Inclusive dates: ca. 1900-1973
Summary: Through the combined efforts of the New Orleans Association of Commerce and several private local service agencies, the Central Council of Social Agencies was organized in 1921 to provide uniform standards and practices that would, in turn, result in greater cooperation among its member agencies. During its existence (1921-1973), the Council underwent several changes in organization and in name. Beginning in 1924, it was listed in reports and in correspondence as the “Central Council of Social Agencies” and as the “Council of Social Agencies.” In 1958 the name was changed to “Social Welfare Planning Council” and in 1971 to “Community Services Council, Inc.” Materials in the collection have been placed in series under the existing agency name when the documents were generated. Separate series have been created for member agencies and subject files.
Related Collections: Community Services Council of Jefferson Collection (Mss 44)
Source: Gift, 1973
Access: No restrictions
Copyright: Physical rights are retained by the Earl K. Long Library, University of New Orleans.
Citation: Community Services Council of New Orleans Collection, Louisiana and Special Collections, Earl K. Long Library, University of New Orleans