MAGNOLIA CEMETERY COLLECTION
Earl K. Long Library
University of New Orleans
Size: 1 bound volume + 1 folder
locations: Baton Rouge, La.
Inclusive dates: January 1866 - March 1913
Summary: 1 bound volume of minutes of the Board of Directors, and 1 folder of correspondences; also included are clippings, contractor bids, and miscellany.
Source: Purchase, July 1985
Access: No restrictions
Copyright: Physical rights are retained by the Earl K. Long Library, University of New Orleans.
Citation: Magnolia Cemetery Collection, Earl K. Long Library, University of New Orleans
Magnolia Cemetery is thought to have been purchased by the City of Baton Rouge from John Buhler in 1820. While possibly used initially as a cemetery for slaves, the burial in 1862 of Confederate troops killed in the Battle of Baton Rouge indicates that it was by then no longer used exclusively for the interment of blacks.
Note: Material is fragile and should be handled with extreme care.
Information on the history of Magnolia Cemetery was obtained from the Louisiana State Library, Louisiana Section, and a personal interview with the cemetery curator, Malcolm Puckett.
174-1 Minute book containing records of board meetings, January 1866 - September 1911.
174-2 Miscellaneous business correspondence, March 1897 - March 1913.
Magnolia Cemetery (Baton Rouge, La.)