Krauss Department Store COLLECTION
Earl K. Long Library
University of New Orleans
Size: 27 linear feet
locations: New Orleans, La.
Inclusive dates: ca. 1903-1997
Bulk dates: 1990s
Summary: Records of Krauss Department Store, chiefly pertaining to advertising but also including photographs, correspondence, memorabilia, and other materials.
collections: J. Philip Preddy Collection (Mss 282)
Source: Gift, 2005
Access: No restrictions
Copyright: Physical rights are retained by the Earl K. Long Library, University of New Orleans.
Citation: Krauss Department Store Collection, Earl K. Long Library, University of New Orleans
In 1903 Krauss was opened at 1201 Canal St. in New Orleans by Leon Fellman and his nephews, the Krauss brothers—Max Alfred, Leopold, and Fritz. The building cost $25,000. Because of its location—right on the edge of Storyville—the store sold satin and lace to the ladies of the “District,” as it was known. Of course, women from all over the city shopped there, as well. Krauss was the first department store to install air conditioning in 1925 and also the first to have escalators—then known as mechanical stairs. The store survived into the 1990s by stocking obscure items not available at large chains and by refusing to reduce service to its loyal New Orleans customers. It was a monument to the old-fashioned way of doing business, and proud of it. During its 94 years of existence it expanded from 20,000 square feet to 350,000 square feet, all on a real estate parcel of 8½ acres fronting on Canal Street. Krauss closed in 1997.
Sources: Gambit Weekly (December 28, 2004); “Louisiana Timeline: 1903,” http://www.enlou.com/time/year1903.htm#january1903 (accessed August 16, 2006).
The collection has not been processed.
Department stores—Louisiana—New Orleans
Krauss Department Store (Firm)