NEWCOMERS CLUB OF NEW ORLEANS COLLECTION, ADDENDUM 1
Earl K. Long Library
University of New Orleans
Size: 1 linear foot
locations: Greater New Orleans area
Inclusive dates: 1994-2001
Summary: Records of the Newcomers Club of New Orleans, an organization comprised of women over twenty-one years of age who have relocated to the New Orleans area within two years prior to joining.
Source: Gift, November 2003
Access: No restrictions on use in our reading room
Copyright: Physical rights are retained by the Earl K. Long Library, University of New Orleans
Citation: Newcomers Club of New Orleans Collection, Addendum 1, Earl K. Long Library, University of New Orleans
In 1947, a group of ladies called the New Orleans Hostess Service saw the need for an organization to welcome new people into the community. The purpose of the organization was to offer them friendship and entertainment, and to provide them with opportunities to use their talents and experiences in making a place for themselves in their adopted city. On September 12 a meeting was held for the purpose of organizing such a club. At that meeting it was decided to name this new organization The Newcomers Club of New Orleans. A candlelight ceremony was held at a January 1949 luncheon to celebrate the approval of the Constitution and By-Laws, and the City Charter plans were finalized. Hilda Resor Thomas is considered the club founder.
In addition to forming hobby groups and holding social functions, the ladies of this new club contributed their time and effort to a wide variety of cultural and philanthropic organizations throughout the city. In 1954 the Club joined the New Orleans Federation of Women’s Clubs and decided to limit its endeavors to one charity at a time. Members chose the Association for the Development of Pre-School Blind Children as their first philanthropic project. Since that time, the Newcomers Club has helped many different organizations, including the Louise S. Davis School and Raintree House, and has received recognition because of its involvement.
To help its members become a part of New Orleans, the Newcomers Club formed its own Mardi Gras organization, the Krewe of Neophermenos (“newly transplanted to this soil”). The first carnival ball was held on February 27, 1954, and the annual ball has become an important part of the Club’s social calendar. The crest of the Krewe of Neophermenos was designed by a Club member and was presented at the February 12, 1965 ball. The first doubloon, produced for the 1967 ball, bore the crest on one side and depicted a scene of old New Orleans on the obverse.
In February 1964 the Club voted to recognize outstanding service to the Club by presenting a Woman of the month Award to deserving members. Since that date, many surprised and happy ladies have been honored. The Special Recognition Award, given annually to an outstanding, long-term member for her involvement in Club activities, also began in 1964. In 1971 the Club initiated the Volunteer of the Year Award, presented annually to an outstanding member who has contributed her time and talent to volunteer work throughout the community.
Agendas and Minutes of Board Meetings and Luncheon Meetings
Bound volumes. Note: minutes of some meetings may be bound out of chronological sequence.
353-1 June 1994 – May 1995
353-2 June 1995 – May 1996
353-3 June 1996 – May 1997
353-4 June 1997 – May 1998
353-5 June 1998 – May 1999
353-6 June 1999 – May 2000
353-7 June 2000 – May 2001
Newcomers Club of New Orleans
Women’s clubs—Louisiana—New Orleans