- So that you are aware of library updates, as they effect your college or department I have a created a library newsletter. This newsletter will be sent out three to four times a semester and let you know about any events, policy changes or news you should know. To view the first newsletter please click the document link below.
- Due to a campus wide budget freeze book orders have been suspended until further notice. If you are interested in adding titles to the Department's Book Request Wish List please complete a Book Purchase Request Form
Your Feedback Is Important
- In an effort to gain insight on this event, and future events that the library sponsors please complete this brief seven question survey. This survey is completely anonymous and will take less than five minutes to complete. This survey will be available until Friday, May 30th.
How to Find Books and Journals
How do I find books?
To find books and e-books on Engineering you can search the Library Catalog by keyword, author, title, or subject. If you don't find what you're looking for the first time, don't give up! Search again using alternate words, different spellings, or a shortened version of your search term.
You may also search the Library's electronic book collections separately and you may want to search WorldCat for titles not owned by the Library. These can be requested through interlibrary loan. All of these databases are listed in the Engineering Database List.
Alternately, you can browse for what you need on the bookshelves on the 3rd floor of the Library, using the following call number range TS-TX
How do I find journals?
The Library holds journals in either print or electronic formats. There are several ways to find out if UNO has a particular journal:
- If you know the name of the journal you're looking for, search the Library Catalog using our "Browse Search" function located on the right side of the screen, under "Catalog Searches." At the next screen, type the journal's title in the search box and click "periodical title." From the results list, just select the journal you were looking for.
- If you don't know exactly what you're looking for, try searching the Library Catalog by entering "computer science periodicals" in the search box next to the "subject" option and clicking search. This should give you an idea of some of the journals that UNO has in your subject area.
Alternately, you can browse and search only those journals that UNO has access to electronically by going to our E-journals page. From there you can search for a specific journal by name. To browse journals by subject, just click on the "Subject" tab at the top of the screen, then select "Science" from the drop-down menu and "Mathematics" on the following screen. The results list will include both mathematics and computer science journals.
How do I find journal articles?
The best way to find articles on topics in computer science is to go to the Library's Engineering Database List. Any of the databases on this list will provide you with a list of articles on whatever topic you're interested in. Not all of the articles retrieved from these databases will necessarily be available full-text online so if you run into that situation, figure out which journal the article is in and use the directions above to see if UNO has that journal in print or electronically.
Can I access Library databases from off-campus?
Yes you can, when you click on a database name, you'll be taken to a screen that looks like this. Follow the directions to log-in. If you don't know your PIN or have never set up a PIN, click "I forgot my PIN" and a PIN will be emailed your UNO email account.
What if the Library does not have the materials I need?
Try our Interlibrary Loan service! Request the book or article through our iLLiad system and we'll get the book or article from another library for you for free.